The family decided to go bowling this past Friday night. Not something we normally do, and it showed in the results. We did get to, however, use the lanes that were in the black light room. Then, my daughter’s friend informed us soon after our arrival: though the black light business was super cool, the music they were playing was not. Apparently, Strikz (yes, that’s how it’s spelled) was playing much more recent songs in the rest of the building while the fogie tunes were being piped where we were.
Now, I must admit, I am not one of those people whose musical appreciation stopped during high school or college. I feel sorry for people who only listen to what they liked when they were 15, actually. Which, for me, would have included (shudder) disco and Southern Rock. No thanks. My musical preferences, other than The Beatles, Broadway show tunes and some others, was kicked off the first time I heard The Cars on the radio. As a kid, I thought that I would only really like a few songs here and there. Sure, there was a lot of pop confection being spun, but nothing that lasted. But once Sting said he wouldn’t share Roxanne with another boy…my mind was blown, my heart quickened and I was in love.
So don’t get stuck in an era. I love that the internet, Rhapsody, Pandora, iTunes, etc. allows people of all ages to listen to pretty much the entire catalog of popular songs. ‘Cause, in addition to helping fogies move out of the dark ages, it also encourages music lovers of today to hear the history and understand how today’s music evolved. Plus, you can listen to music from other countries and see how their influence has shaped what we hear. And seriously, there’s nothing wrong if you like to listen to some Zepplin. Just mix it up with a little White Stripes or Vampire Weekend while you’re at it.
Here’s a list of ten songs that I like, right off the top of my head (links to lyrics included!):
- Somebody to Love by Queen: Lyrics ~ Buy Me!
- Hello Yellow by Johnny Stimson: Lyrics ~ Buy Me!
- Someone to Love by Fountains of Wayne: Lyrics ~ Buy Me!
- Suit and Tie by Justin Timberlake: Lyrics ~ The 20/20 Experience will be released 3.19.2013
- Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve: Lyrics ~ Buy Me!
- I’m Like a Bird by Nelly Furtado: Lyrics ~ Buy Me!
- Me Voy by Julieta Venegas: Lyrics ~ Buy Me!
- Lies by Thompson Twins: Lyrics ~ Buy Me!
- Carry On by Fun!: Lyrics ~ Buy Me!
- You Don’t Know Me by Ben Folds: Lyrics ~ Buy Me!
What made you get your groove on this week?