This week’s meme from The Broke and the Bookish says to name your Top Ten Kick-Ass Heroines. There are some obvious choices, for example, Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games and Hermione Granger of Harry Potter fame who kicks ass mentally as well. I took a look at the books that I read this past year and found many heroines worthy of being on this list. And the honors go to:
- Kali D’Angelo of Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. Since she’s well, only human every other day…and kills hell hounds…
- The Gallagher Girls of The Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter. The main girls are Cammie, Bex, Liz and Macy and they are in high school. At a school for spies. Their middle names are all “Kick-Ass.”
- Clary Fray of The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. Although she is raised with no idea as to her background, Clary adapts easily to the Shadowhunter lifestyle and keeps up handily with Jace and the others.
- Evangeline “Evie” Greene of Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles) by Kresley Cole. Oops! The Apocalpyse! Evie and her mother have to survive with limited water and food, Zombie-like bagmen, militia and other people just trying to survive. If you’re not kick-ass, you’re dead.
- Ismae of My Fair Assassin by Robin LaFevers. Assassin. Need I say more?
- Beatrice “Tris” Prior of the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth. She moves from the selfless faction to the most violent. Part of their fun activities include a lot of face punching, dangling each other over cliffs, stabbing someone in their sleep, and vaulting on and off moving trains. Tris more than keeps up. ‘Nuff said.
- Evie of the Paranormalcy trilogy by Kiersten White. Evie works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency. Basically, they find paranormals and she either kills them or tracks them. She’s good at it, too.
- Charley Davidson of First Grave on the Right (series) by Darynda Jones. This is an adult series involving PI work of a supernatural kind. Charley seems to rack up enemies, so a gal’s gotta take care of herself, right?
- Merit of the Chicagoland Vampire series by Chloe Neill. Another adult series, Merit is a graduate student who is turned into a vampire against her wishes. Now she has amazing strength and speed, learns how to use all sorts of weapons and is the personal bodyguard to the vampire head of the Cadogan clan. Can I get a HIIIIIIIII-YAAAAA?
- Myfanwy Thomas of The Rook by Daniel O’Malley. Coming to with no memories, she finds a note with her name on it. Now Myfanwy has to uncover the mystery as to who she is while working at a top-secret agency that is battling supernatural forces in Britain. Basically, she has to have her own back since she remembers no one. Another adult book.
Do you agree? Do you have others to add to the list? Comment below!