I have just finished reading the Harry Potter series (again). I have always loved that JK Rowling so thoughtfully ended the series with an epilogue. Of course we want to know what happened to our favorite characters! However, I must say that this is the first time that I have really thought a lot about the intervening years. What went on during those nineteen years?
I blame Twitter. Whenever I think of something funny (well, at least I think it’s funny), I tend to stop the presses or DVR or conversation and type it out for the universe. Most of the time, the universe doesn’t respond, but I feel better for asking. So one day, joking of course, I asked if Harry ended up getting his GED (Ron and Hermione would have had to, too, as well as their friends from Hogwarts who weren’t allowed to finish their magical education their last year, but I digress). Did they bend the rules for Harry, what with his abilities to produce a fantabulous Patronus, his finding of all of the Deathly Hallows, his elimination of the Horcruxes, oh and that whole killing Voldemort thing? Was he able to get a job based on “life experience?”
This time, I really started thinking (too much) and wondering about these things as well:
- Where did the Dursleys end up?
- Did they just leave all of their stuff at their house, or did they go back and get it?
- Did they forward their mail? By owl?
- Did Mr. Dursley give two weeks’ notice to Grunnings, or did he just leave?
- Did Dudley’s personality improve once he thanked Harry for saving his life?
- Did Harry ever see them again?
- Since it was discovered that Hagrid did not open the Chamber of Secrets the time that Moaning Myrtle was killed, why wasn’t he allowed to re-enroll in school?
- Who was the headmaster at Hogwarts when Harry’s kids went there?
- Did the cleanup after the battle with Voldemort take just a few seconds or a long while?
- Did Professor Snape get his own picture in the headmaster’s office?
- Did Andromeda Tonks raise Teddy Lupin?
- Did Teddy Lupin become a werewolf?
- Did Neville Longbottom get married (I mean, have you seen him?)?
- What happened to Luna? Did she work on The Quibbler with her father?
- Is Draco Malfoy still an arse, or did he dial it back a bit after what happened?
- What happened to Durmstrang now that Karakoff was killed?
- Did Viktor Krum continue to play Quidditch?
- What did Hermione do for a living after the last book? Is she a stay-at-home mom now?
- Where does Ron work?
- Did Hermione’s parents get un-obliviated and move back from Australia?
- Did Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes remain open after Fred died?
- Did Mr. Ollivander retire, or did Ollivander’s reopen?
- Did Harry and Ginny and the kids live at Grimmauld Place? Did he use it as a bachelor pad first?
- When did Harry and Ginny get married?
- Were they (ie Hermione) able find a solution to the permanent sticking charms that were used at Grimmauld Place?
- Did Harry hand down the Marauder’s Map and the Cloak of Invisibility to one of his kids?
- Did Harry decide to play Quidditch professionally?
These are just a few of the things that I have been wondering. Tell me in the comments below what you’ve always wondered about!