Welcome to week three of What Next? Wednesday! You can participate in these ways:
- Write about what book you would have chosen to read next on your blog, using the FIRST I READ book chosen by that week’s honored person, and put a link in the comments section (or post a short comment if you do not have a blog);
- Follow the guest via at least one of the social media links;
- Follow Ink and Page via at least one of the social media buttons at the top left corner of the blog and/or via the Bloglovin’ button on the right;
- Tweet about the meme (a link would be great!);
- Ask to be the subject of a future What Next? Wednesday by completing this form.
I’ve been blogging for almost 3 years now… and it’s usually about YA Contemporary, although I have been stepping out of my comfort zone more and more. I am a mother to a 7 year old boy (where has the time gone??) and a princess named Lucy (she’s a Boston terrier). In my free time you can find me reading, watching Netflix, or getting dressed up and going out with my girlfriends. I’m obsessed with anything pink, 90s pop culture, NFL football (GO STEELERS), and shopping on Etsy.
Here are Michelle’s picks:
FIRST I READ THIS:
Tease is about Sara, a girl who is being criminally charged with harassment after a girl in her school commits suicide. She used to be one of the most popular girls at her school, now she’s an outcast, being branded a bully by the media. Soon she finds out that being a villain is a lonely existence, and with her trial looming, she’s got to come to grips with everything that went down.
Why I liked this book: I loved that I got to read a story about bullying from the other perspective. I liked how it had me relating to the “mean girls” and blaming the victim at times. I love when a book can make me go along with it, and yet make me feel totally uncomfortable doing so.
SO THEN I READ THIS:
Liz Emerson wants to die, so she intentionally crashes her Mercedes off the side of a road to make that happen. The events leading up to her demise are complicated. You see Liz is a popular girl… and being popular has turned her into something she doesn’t like at all. Her home life is lonely and she’s been looking for a reason to stay alive, but has failed to find that reason.
This is the story of how 1 + 1 = suicide. How the things we do have an effect on other people… and sometimes realizing the effect you have can make you hate yourself.
Why I chose this book: When I read what this book was about, I immediately thought of Tease. It has “mean girls” and suicide in it and you get to see the POV of the bully and where she’s coming from. I loved that this book was written when the author was in high school!! And it has a really original type of narration. I didn’t like this one AS much as I did Tease, but still it was a very strong, emotional debut!